Tuesday, May 27, 2014

May 25

Solomon spent much of his time as a building superintendent. Many were the projects he completed. At the same time, he acquired great wealth, greater than anyone else in the world. Most of us would look with envy at Solomon. People came from all over the world to hear his wisdom. His fame and reputation, as well as his wealth, were unmatched. He had everything that most human beings think they need and want to enjoy life. But, listen to the words of the man who had it all: “I said to myself, ‘Come now, let’s give pleasure a try. Let’s look for the ‘good things’ in life.’ But I found that this, too, was meaningless.......I also tried to find mean-ing by building huge homes for myself and by planting beautiful vineyards......I had everything a man could desire!.....But as I looked at everything I had worked so hard to accomplish, it was all so meaningless. It was like chasing the wind. There was nothing really worthwhile anywhere” (Ecclesiastes 2:1,4,8b,11).
Of all people, Solomon should have known that man’s greatest needs are not physical, but spiritual. In his own words, Solomon would write, “God has planted eternity in the human heart...” (Ecc.3:11). And while Solomon obeyed all that his father, David, had commanded him; and although Solomon came to the conclusion the most important thing any of us can do is to, “Fear God and keep His commands” (Ecc.12:13), he still didn’t seem to get it. For all his wisdom, Solomon did not understand that all we have and all we are, is a gift from God to us. But, God does not give us our talents, our abilities, our wealth, or our opportunities for our own selfish ends. We will find our greatest pleasure in life when we use what God has given us for His glory and not our own pleasure. Jesus understood this. “My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing His work” (John 4:34). “That which brings me the greatest satisfaction in life is not in trying to please myself, but in trying to please God.” “I feel best about myself when I am serving Him. For in a weird sort of way, it is those who give of themselves to doing His will by serving others, who also seem to get the most out of what they are doing” (Luke 6:38). Whatever advantages, talents, or opportunities God has given us will best be utilized when we use them for Him, and not for ourselves. Depending upon the choice we make, we will either feel empty like Solomon, or satisfied like Jesus. Which will we choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment