Wednesday, May 7, 2014

May 16

What do I see when I look in the mirror? Do I see skin, eyes, hair, ears, nose, etc.? Do I see me? Or, do I see God? No, I am not suggesting we are God. What I am suggesting is that when we look at any aspect of God’s creation, we should see the Creator rather than the created. The essence of life is ALL about who or what we choose to focus on. If I go through life with my focus on me, then I will see every opportunity and every open door through the prism of how it can benefit me. I will assume that every good thing which happens to me in life is because of my hard work, my intelligence, my abilities, etc. But, if I go through life with my focus on God, then I will see every opportunity and every open door through the prism of how I can give God glory. I will assume that every good thing which happens to me in life is because of God’s grace and God’s goodness to me.
As we read through the many Psalms, including those David wrote and those he didn’t, we can often see the prism through which the composer is writing. There are even times when the composer changes his focus in the same Psalm.
On the one hand we read, “O Lord, I cry out to you. I will keep on pleading day by day. O Lord, why do you reject me? Why do you turn your face away from me?....Your fierce anger has overwhelmed me.....You have taken away my companions and loved ones; only darkness remains” (Psalm 88:13&14, 16,18). And on the other hand we read, “The heavens are yours, and the earth is yours; everything in the world is yours - - you created it all....Powerful is your arm! Strong is your hand! Your right hand is lifted high in glorious strength. Your throne is founded on two strong pillars - - righteousness and justice....Happy are those who hear the joyful call to worship, for they will walk in the light of your presence, Lord. They rejoice all day long in your wonderful reputation. They exult in your righteousness. You are their glorious strength. Our power is based on your favor. Yes, our protection comes from the Lord” (Psalm 89:11,13-18a).
‘Lord, help me to always keep my focus on you. Help me to see Creation as a manifestation of you. And help me to see my life not through the glory, or riches, or fame I can receive; but for the glory and fame I can give to you.’

No comments:

Post a Comment