Wednesday, December 3, 2014

December 2

How consistent are we in our Christian walk? There are many who profess faith in Jesus Christ, but whose walk hardly matches their talk. With today’s technology, we often discover inconsistencies between what someone said one day to one group of people from that which was said the next day to another group of people. God is not the author of confusion (I Corinthians 14:33). It is only reasonable to expect that those truly guided by God will be consistent every time in what they say or write, as well as consistent in what they profess and what they live.
Paul wrote to the Philippians, “For I live in eager expectation and hope that I will never do anything that causes me shame, but that I will always be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past, and that my life will always honor Christ, whether I live or I die. For to me, living is for Christ, and dying is even better” (1:20&21).
As Paul traveled to Jerusalem with an offering for the Christians living there that he had collected from Gentile Christians, he was continually warned of the dangers he would face should he insist on reaching his destination. At Tyre, in Syria, the “disciples prophesied through the Holy Spirit that Paul should not go on to Jerusalem” (Acts 21:4). When Paul stopped at Ptolemais, Agabus prophesied that “the owner of this belt (will) be bound by the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem and turned over to the Romans” (21:10&11). When those traveling with Paul heard this, they begged him not to go to Jerusalem. But, Paul replied, “I am ready not only to be jailed at Jerusalem but also to die for the sake of the Lord Jesus” (21:13). Paul’s mission was clear. His resolve was firm. “My life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus - - the work of telling others the Good News about God’s wonderful kindness and love” (20:24). “I never shrank from telling you the truth, either publicly or in your homes......No one’s damnation can be blamed on me, for I didn’t shrink from declaring all that God wants for you” (20:20,26&27).
Our Lord needs similar confidence, peace, boldness, and resolve from his disciples today. The only thing that matters in life is declaring the Good News about Jesus. Let us not be afraid of the consequences for doing so, or fear those who would threaten us. Our true destiny lies beyond this life so let us use whatever time we have to do what God has called us to do. Let us be able to say like Paul, “For to me, living is for Christ, and dying is even better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment